- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounce size) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounce size) frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water
In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. This is your Roux. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot.
Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in Crockpot; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes. Serve gumbo over rice.